A Teacher's Day

The day in the life of an inner city large urban school district teacher after the high stakes testing ends and there is still three more months left before summer vacation.

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

I have taught school for over thirty years always in the inner city and for the most part always upper grade students. I have two children and I have been married for twenty years.

Monday, March 20, 2006

Tomorrow is the beginning of our high stakes testing and I'm a bit nervous. We're allowed to post specific types of charts and posters around the classroom. I made a bunch myself, but I'm not sure they are perfectly legible. It doesn't matter now. These posters have been up for months. I guess I can't worry about that.

I can worry about other things, though. My sixth graders have to do well or they fail. My seventh graders have to do well or they do not get to select the high school they want to attend. The neighborhood high school actually has a police station with jail cells in its basement. Not someplace I would want to send my personal children.

It's not even seven and I got an early ride to work. Usually I walk the four miles. I'm prepared for the day, but sometimes I'm not sure the day is prepared for me. My school is in the inner city of Chicago, 98% of the students qualify for the federal free breakfast and lunch program (on certain days we even serve dinner), and they are supposed to wear uniforms. I teach sixth and seventh grade reading and science.

And I like my job and I like my classroom.

Where is this log going to go? I wish I knew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home