A Teacher's Day

The day in the life of an inner city large urban school district teacher after the high stakes testing ends and there is still three more months left before summer vacation.

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

I have taught school for over thirty years always in the inner city and for the most part always upper grade students. I have two children and I have been married for twenty years.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

My Second Week in Jefferson City, Missouri

Things have started moving faster and faster. First the Jeff City News-Tribune published an article by Jeff Haldiman about gangs and I received front page coverage. Then the TV station from Columbia (Channel 8's David Schneider) came out and spent almost two hours with me for a story on gangs. They even used a bit of my wife's video of a knife attack between a group of gang members. (If I can figure out how to do it, I'll run the video on this blog.)

It's almost over. I thought it might take two months to get rid of the problem, but now it might be just a few weeks.

The police are involved, the city council is angry about the negative publicity, the media is fascinated by everything, and the neighbors are joining together to stop the problem.

Oh, yes, I met the founder of the Corner Boyz. He's a kid named Troy and we had a little talk.

There is no such thing as a gang wannabees just like there is no such thing as a duck wannabeing a duck. A duck is a duck. A gang wannabee wants to be a gang member--so they are gang members.

Troy remains a wannabee.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you could set up a pay per view for knife fight of the week
sounds cool!

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The townies obviously were happier with their heads in the sand. I don't really think they will appreciate your efforts even though if someone didn't do something things would escalate out of control, as they always do. Be careful out there.

5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home