A Teacher's Day

The day in the life of an inner city large urban school district teacher after the high stakes testing ends and there is still three more months left before summer vacation.

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

I have taught school for over thirty years always in the inner city and for the most part always upper grade students. I have two children and I have been married for twenty years.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Thursday and Look What the Day Dragged In

Thursday and here is how the day went—T. had one of her daily temper tantrums ten minutes into the school day and ended up in my room until the end of the day when she went wild on the playground and had to go back to her classroom.

A. from across the hall was sent to me because he was acting too silly. I kept him about twenty minutes. Then it was time for his graduation practice so he went back to his room.

Lunchtime and the gym teacher who is a sub is screaming in the hallway because there is no supervision in the gym. He’s the gym teacher. Isn’t he supervision? So I’m delegated to find out what is going on and what I find is a room full of 8th graders and an adult, but they are all in their seats and no one is acting crazy. Well, almost no one. L. is in the gym acting crazy. He’s not an 8th grader. S. is in the gym running back and forth. He’s not an 8th grader. They leave the gym the second I tell them to and then it’s back to quiet again.

My class and I studied the sine of angle A in trigonometry. We worked out the problems. We began to work on the sine tables.

It’s always nice when you see engaged children trying to understand something that is difficult—especially when multiplication and division is already hard. But they are beginning to get it. And learning how to divide at the same time.

OK, so I became the room for the unwanted. More than once today. But look at all of the great things we accomplished. After all my classes were able to identify who came into the room and offered a second’s disruption in the same manner as Sherlock Holmes, the famous detective we are reading about in language arts. And the research handed in today was top notch also.

All in all a very nice day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home