A Teacher's Day

The day in the life of an inner city large urban school district teacher after the high stakes testing ends and there is still three more months left before summer vacation.

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

I have taught school for over thirty years always in the inner city and for the most part always upper grade students. I have two children and I have been married for twenty years.

Friday, April 13, 2007

AND STILL MORE POETRY

nature's love affair with my daughter

She found the forest to be just the right fragrance, the leaves just the right green, the softness of seed, a tree frog, the quicksilver of fox fur and light.

Someone said once my daughter could hear the breath of birds, the heartbeat of deer, the hushed pedaling of wolves across the thin grass and tangled vines.

I never asked her if this was true. Instead I let her teach the children about the clouds, the blue twilight of day, the hushed whisper of one reed leaning into another.

And I would walk with her, her long hair thick and black, wonderful and wavy; her dimpled smile the perfect moon; her voice the wind and earth and everything inbetween,

Words: Michael H. Brownstein

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home