A Teacher's Day

The day in the life of an inner city large urban school district teacher after the high stakes testing ends and there is still three more months left before summer vacation.

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

I have taught school for over thirty years always in the inner city and for the most part always upper grade students. I have two children and I have been married for twenty years.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Tuesday, everything was peaceful. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe everything will work out even though we have finished the high stakes testing.

We were offered recess if our classes did well in line coming into the school, going to lunch, etc.

Our line wasn't behaving on the way into school. No recess.

Yet there were no problems the entire day.

Perhaps it was because two of my students published their first poems in a literary magazine, ILLOGICAL MUSE. Perhaps it was because two of my students won third place in the city science fair and came home with a dozen awards each--including money. Perhaps it was the giant research project we will begin today.

I go to my first union meeting tonight. I'll keep you posted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home