A Teacher's Day

The day in the life of an inner city large urban school district teacher after the high stakes testing ends and there is still three more months left before summer vacation.

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

I have taught school for over thirty years always in the inner city and for the most part always upper grade students. I have two children and I have been married for twenty years.

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Still the Third Week in Jefferson City, MO

OK, so now people are coming up to me in the street or they're calling me on the phone or they're talking about me. Nothing negative--at least not so far. But someone tagged the sidewalks on Cherry Street--a block over--and someone got murdered five blocks in another direction--and the police called me to tell me they have what might be a real gang situation ("Gangbangers from St. Louis," one officer told me) and someone else is afraid when I leave, everything will explode again.

I don't know.

The Corner Boyz buzz the block late at night with their cars blasting and they yell their slogans out into the street. We had some minor vandalism behind our house. There are other things too. We're biding our time.

Somethings you can smell.

And next door. Well, it's still a nest for all of this.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, they think someone from "out of town" did the dirty deed, not one of thier own? Will this make the town fathers re-think curfew at least. How can they face themselves telling you things will explode when you leave, in other words, a relative stranger, an out of towner, would have to solve their problems because they are unwilling to do so. Am I being too hard here? Let me know when you go back to Chicago so I can mail the donation I promised to send. You and your wife are urban heroes.

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you starting to think seriously about relocating? How are you and the rest of your family dealing with everything? Is it worth it to stay? Have you become the neighborhood sheriff?

RB

6:11 PM  
Blogger A Teacher's Log said...

Rose, let's wait until I get back to Chicago and Robin Brown or RB, I think we're winning the battle.

Michael

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home