A Teacher's Day

The day in the life of an inner city large urban school district teacher after the high stakes testing ends and there is still three more months left before summer vacation.

Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

I have taught school for over thirty years always in the inner city and for the most part always upper grade students. I have two children and I have been married for twenty years.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007


So the science fair is finally over. We took a first place in the sixth grade competition (she goes to a special program during the city competition) and two excellents (they brought home trophies).

All in all a very nice day.

So how did the day really go?

I arrived at school before seven to make sure everything was ready. My students showed up between 7:30 and 8:00. We left for the fair at 8:20. Every year I train the judges (it gives me something to do during the fair), but this year mid sentence, I was told to go back to the fair. No explanation. That's life I guess.

The fair went on until almost 2:00. It seemed none of the men were given any responsibility so we made work for ourselves--except for the two men smart enough to bring things to do. One graded papers and the other read the paper. Nonetheless, I did the job of the safety judge, helped students get their poster presentations in order, and did a lot of this and a little of that. (One good thing--this is the first year I actually made it to the lunchroom for lunch.)

Back at school, we celebrated our wins and then I went to help with security. Really I was the security. Me and one other individual. No problems there. We had two basketball games, but I go to school now on Wednesdays for my endorsement. Spectators were limited to the girl's team and seventh/eighth grade boy's team.

We had six subs in the school today and they complained about the cursing. I'm not sure how to solve that problem. Too often all I hear outside is parents cursing, cursing, cursing.

My school went well. I arrived at Loyola thirty minutes early. I'm working with a scientific calculator and studying data analysis. The professor, Lauri Braga, makes it very simple. I'll be teaching a few of the concepts to my students later this week.

Arrived home after 8:00 and spent a few more hours with my own high school kids.

Time to go to sleep now.

I'll write when I get a chance. Thanks.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home