A Teacher's Day

The day in the life of an inner city large urban school district teacher after the high stakes testing ends and there is still three more months left before summer vacation.

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

I have taught school for over thirty years always in the inner city and for the most part always upper grade students. I have two children and I have been married for twenty years.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

The Day Before Spring Vacatiion

What do I have to do today:

finish my report cards and pass out my grades to the other teachers so they can do their report cards, too

hand-in my monthly attendance summary for March

solve my new truant problem

student of the month breakfast (my students has just begun to take intellectual risks so I feel I MUST honor her)

three grant proposals my principal wants me to do by this evening (and I may post them for all of you who want to know how to write grants)--Chicago Community Trust Office of Math and Science Middle School Grant, Project NOAH/The Reading Ark, and Good Foods with the Chicago Lincoln Park Zoo

write up the notes for distribution on the Chicago Teacher Union meeting I attended for the first time last night (more on this later)

type up the best poems from my class (two of my students are now published in Illogical Muse)

coordinate the After School All Stars

act as the crossing guard at 4:45

call Scholastic and find out about all of the problems with my classroom magazine orders

copy everything needed for the great research project

somewhere in there I promise you I will teach

somewhere in there I promise you I will find time for myself

and I'll be on the radio tonight with Gary Goldblatt--WZRD--around 8:00

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home