A Teacher's Day

The day in the life of an inner city large urban school district teacher after the high stakes testing ends and there is still three more months left before summer vacation.

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

I have taught school for over thirty years always in the inner city and for the most part always upper grade students. I have two children and I have been married for twenty years.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

TEACHER MEETINGS

This week has been interesting. Five teachers from the second floor and two from the first floor had to attend a teacher’s convention. I have no problem with this. Teachers should attend conventions and workshops that give them better strategies to become better teachers. The problem I do have is the need for substitutes.

Yesterday we did not have a sub for one of the eighth grade classes so we combined them. The seventh grade class did not have anyone for twenty minutes. I watched both seventh grade classes.

Everything went well—OK, one fight, a major disturbance on the first floor, a few noisy lines through the hall. Nothing we couldn’t handle.

Today everything went even smoother. Every room was covered, my class studied the Kentucky coffee tree seed pod, read a poem by Tupac, studied reading strategies with Langston Hughes, observed real fungi and mold in a walk around the playground (where we saw plant lice and a fence that a tree trunk swallowed), and did a vast number of other things.

Wow!

This is the third week and I can’t wait to get to my classroom. Everyday they show how valuable learning is.

Quite a change from last year.

But I need to let you know something. Tomorrow begins the Jewish holidays. I won’t be at school. Me and seven other teachers. Hope they have enough GOOD subs.

And I’m not worried. My class will be just fine. (Though I will worry about the sub next door who greeted me this morning with: “Thank God, you’re here.”)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home