A Teacher's Day

The day in the life of an inner city large urban school district teacher after the high stakes testing ends and there is still three more months left before summer vacation.

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

I have taught school for over thirty years always in the inner city and for the most part always upper grade students. I have two children and I have been married for twenty years.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

He's baaaack!

When I last went into this site, I wrote how great it is to be a teacher. I must have jinxed myself.

For over a week one of my students was away on some kind of recreational trip. Not one time did I hear a curse word. Nor did I have to tell someone to please sit down six times. Nor did I have to insist--and I'm using this word instead of the word I want to use--that someone be quiet so others can actually learn.

I didn't write anything yesterday because yesterday was just a bad day all around. The students from the above paragraphs came back on Monday, actually behaved himself almost decently, but yesterday before 9:15 he had already walked out of the classroom and went to the office.

He entered the room, walked up and down the ailes three times, came to me and said he had a broken leg, and when I told him I would get someone to take him downstairs (though, I said, I don't believe you would be walking as well as you are walking if your leg was really broken), and he walked back to his seat. Not a minute later, he just plain as day walked out of the class. If you have been reading this blog, you know I have a rule about walking out of the class. So now the April field trip is cancelled.

Ten minutes later one of my girl students informed me that she was absent yesterday, so there was no way she was making up her work. She almost walked out, but another colleague pulled her aside and settled her down.

Forty minutes later another student walked out because he did not do any work and I told him I would have to give him a zero. He cursed. Got mad. Reminded me of someone who runs a stop sign, causes an accident, and then starts ylling at the other driver.

And I didn't even tell you about the fight on the playground. A seventh grader walked up to one of my sixth graders, said hi to her, and then began to beat her up, scratching and pulling her hair. The entire attack surprised my student so much, she had time only to cover her face with her hands. It took three teachers to pull the seventh grader away.

So much for good days, huh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home